All the painting is finished, except for a tiny bit under the keel when she is lifted again next month. We need to spray the hull down today but then she can sit for several weeks before having to go back into the water if necessary. So it says on the paint tins! At 200 GBP a pot, you don’t want to mess up those instructions.
We are still not tied down but the yard did start digging the holes, only to go through a few big cables, one of which provided the electricity to one end of the yard including the office! 3 days later and the hole is still just a hole, with gaffer tape around the cables but we do have concreted in metal spikes near each corner of the boat for tie downs before we leave!
The near disaster was certainly a crowd puller for a while and for the first time since we’ve been here, the yard wasn’t deserted by 1600 on the dot.
The cleat Rob fixed is looking great as he sanded it down slightly and the weather is taking care of the colour. His repair to the stern locker is also holding up well from inside the boat when rain starts to fill it but we will have to wait and see how it fares when we go back into the water or ‘splash’ as the Americans say. It is well sealed in, so I am convinced it will be watertight. The fitting is perfect and no water has leaked into the lazerettes since. Rob checked them thoroughly yesterday, fitting completely into the locker!
The windlass is also fixed but we enlisted the excellent help of Vincent at Regis Electronics as Rob worked out the problem but couldn’t fix it. Vincent came over within half an hour, identified the issue with the power to the windlass and sorted it out for 40 GBP. Our only remaining problem is the batteries. Disconnecting the one which got the thumbs down after a load test, hasn’t stopped the neighbouring one getting hot. We don’t need to charge it via shore power as the solar panels are keeping us charged up and whilst we are away we won’t have anything running. When we get back next month, Vincent will check the other one and we may have to replace both with more AGMs or all 3 with lead acids. Lucky for us we got Tyson, the carpenter, to make such a large access panel in April when we fitted the new hot water tank, as that is where the third AGM sits, way back in the stern.
The bow thruster props and anodes are all painted or replaced and we don’t have any other anodes to do as they are all intact. Now we have our dive certificates we can do some work underwater anyway. We have just 2 days when we return before splashing, time to change the watermaker filters, clean the inside of the boat and put things away after airing the cabins for the month. The boat looks a complete mess again with matresses and cushions stood up, all the lockers, frige and freezer open and the sails inside but we want to avoid mould and bugs, so it has to be done. Its not too bad as 4 weeks is nothing but people who leave their boats longer in more humid climates sometimes come back to a boat full of mould.
We had to obtain a letter from the Marina Office, attach an inventory of ‘removable valuable items’ and make an appointment with customs to visit on Monday before we fly back. Other than that, we haven’t got much more to do other than sort out our packing and visit friends! It is still very windy here and many boats are itching to get south, especially those going to ‘Camp Grenada’ again for the season. They’ll miss their anchoring spots if they don’t hurry! Our friends on ‘Nemo’ are hoping to leave mid week once this next tropical wave goes through, so we wish them a safe passage.
So, we’ll be back in the UK soon and able to have hot rather than cold showers!