On Our Way

Our Biscay crew are Alex and Paul who were up early to fill the water tanks and prepare the boat for leaving her berth. A few early risers saw us off at 0700 this morning as we left Haslar with no firm date to return. The 0520 shipping forecast mentioned F 4-5 rising to F6 so we started off with a reef in both main and genoa as the first day was the opportunity to test all the new gear and be sure everything works before heading offshore.

Getting Ready to Slip The Lines

A south-west wind meant we spent the 6 hours tacking up and down the solent, covering almost 40 nm with speeds up to 8 kts and we reached Lymington to refuel in time for lunch. We decided to stay the night here as the tide had turned against us and we couldn’t continue through the Needles until the evening, so we pumped up the dinghy and went ashore.

Lymington at Dusk

Alex later cooked a spaghetti bolognaise and we opened a couple of bottles of wine to celebrate the start of our journey.

Tomorrow we intend to head out of the Needles by 0630 and depending on wind direction, sail further west or to Cherbourg.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes – we will miss you but hope to see you again soon – somewhere warmer!

This entry was posted in Friends & Family, Haslar Marina, Gosport, UK, Solent. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *